Tuesday 14 January 2014

If I were planning another baby I would...

I am not planning to have any more children but if I were or if I were asked how I would prepare myself based on my 18 years of research and autism intervention implementation and experience, this is what I would do or suggest...

...Firstly, I would have my Vitamins D, B6, B12 and Magnesium and my thyroid levels checked by my GP and make sure I was as healthy and fit as possible.

I would sing the ABC and number songs and other nursery rhymes whilst I was pregnant and once the baby was born I would continue singing these and maybe introduce picture cards with the alphabet and numbers on as well as use Makaton signing http://copingwithautism.co.uk/makaton.php to prepare the child to recognise the name of people and objects. Babies later diagnosed with autism have been shown to pay more attention to objects (such as a mobile over their cot rather than human faces in some research conducted at the Cambridge Autism Research Centre so, autism can be noticed much earlier if you do have reasons for concern.

I would be watching my baby's attention to my face and their likes and dislikes to sensory input (extreme responses to  noises, light and touch). As my baby developed, I would be looking for the signs and symptoms of autism and encourage turn taking, help the baby by using their hands to sign the Makaton signs for specific and frequently requested foods such as milk, juice, biscuit, (even 'toilet' when I change their nappy)...My intention would not be for the baby to independently sign or talk any earlier or be trying to make the child  'super clever,' just ensuring any risk or potential autism related problems could be improved by this extreme early intervention. The brain has so much plasticity at this early stage of development which means it can be influenced how to develop through this kind of support.

If I had concerns about my baby, I would speak to my health visitor and GP and if I felt they were not taking me seriously, (as can often happen and you can be considerd an over anxious mother) I would ask for a referral to the community Paediatrician and give them the links , sections and page numbers to the NICE ( National Institute of Clinical Excellence) Guidelines found on this page of my website along with much more... http://copingwithautism.co.uk/diagnosis.php and quote the Children's and Families' Act 2014 where Early Support is now embedded within legislation from Birth to age 25!

This may all sound extreme to those who have never had a child with autism but I believe, it would be the best possible intervention a mother could be proud of doing, knowing she is giving her child the best possible chance in developing to become independent and reach their full potential in life...what most of us want for ALL our children...ΓΌ

No comments:

Post a Comment